Movie review: Ghajini

My rating - 3/5

I watched Aamir’s Ghajini last evening. Nothing great. It was an average masala flick with lots of loop holes. Im really wondering what the whole hype and hoopla was all about. The only movie to have grossed the maximum on its first day of opening in the history of Indian cinema. Naah! Not happening…!

I was debating whether to watch the original Memento first, but gave in to curiosity and lot of peer pressure. I had decided then that I will traverse in the reverse order. If this movie claimed to have taken care of the “mistakes” from the previous one, I wonder what the state of the other Ghajini was!

Surprisingly, I think readers of my blog seem to like Surya’s Ghajini more (refer the poll stats). So, now, that’s irony. I now want to watch the other two movies out of curiosity again.

The story line is straightforward and the theme pretty much common. A rich guy falls for a middle class girl next door. The girl is killed and the hero sets out for revenge. The only change there is the guy has short term amnesia and the weird way he sets himself up to remember the killer and finally take revenge. Its an interesting twist to the common base theme, no doubt. But, really, I would have expected an Aamir movie to have been made better.

The things I liked about this movie ?
 Aamir’s body – Healthy and mind blowing
 Marketing strategy and publicity gimmicks – The MBA guys can surely learn a thing or two here
 2 of Rahman’s compositions

Worth watching once if you’re an Aamir fan, haven’t watched the other originals or you have nothing better to do.

5 comments:

beesinmybonnet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
beesinmybonnet said...

Do you know why I voted for Surya??? :D
Anyways, I thought Aamir did a pretty good job. And I liked the Tamil Ghajini songs much better than the Hindi one....

Tej said...

hmm...not sure if i really know the reason why. I agree that the Tamil songs are much better though....

beesinmybonnet said...

Becos, I am an SRK fan!! :P

Zafar said...

Average Movie this.. Watched it last week, n I don't think it deserved as much hype as it got... Though the Mktg Strategy was Spot on... and AK did make an attempt to beef up...

On a whim, i also happened to watch "A Wednesday" during the same time... and was completely blown away! Top Notch performances, and a well made movie! Wonder if you will review it sometime soon, as I'm waiting to see how you describe it in your own super inimitable style :-)